Frequently Asked Questions
We have answers!
Below you will find a collection of frequently asked questions related to Zee Designs, websites and print topics. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact us.
Where can I use keywords and what are the limits?
There are many places where keywords can be used on a webpage including:
- Domain name – The domain is the name of the site, as in www.zeedesigns.com. When choosing a domain name to register, you can choose one that contains one of your keywords.
- The URL – The URL is the actual name of a specific page in the website. A URL could be a lot longer than a domain name. For instance, a URL could be: http://westmoreacademy.com/makeup-school-facts. The first part of the URL is usually the domain name with the name of the page and perhaps other information following. When using keywords in the URL, the first word after the slash is best, second is second best, etc.
- HTML Header components are entered by programmers and looked at by search engines.
- Title tag – This is the text used when bookmarking a page, or saving as a browser Favorite. Use the keyword close to the beginning. The optimal length of the title is 10 - 60 characters with no special characters. The title appears to users in the title bar of the browser.
- Description meta tag – It is used to show the theme and appears in some search results. The optimal length of the description is less than 200 characters. Search Engines no longer rely upon this tag for ranking, even though they will often use it as one part of their formula.
- Keyword meta tag – It is used to show the theme, and using less than 10 words is optimal, with your keywords meta-tag total length between 200 and 500 characters. Every word in this tag MUST appear somewhere in the body text to avoid being penalized for irrelevance. When a single word appears more than twice as a keyword, it may be considered spam. Google purportedly has abandoned the use of this tag, although other search engines may use it.
- Page Content
- The most important thing is to have content-rich pages that are congruent with your theme, and use keywords (and text that supports the keywords) believably.
- Factors to be aware of include:
- Keyword density in body text – Ratio of keywords to total text average 5 - 20% - (all keywords/total words). The ideal ratio can vary according to the topic. If you go over it could be seen as spamming.
- Individual keyword density - 1 - 6% - (each keyword/total words)
- Keyword use in heading text emphasizes the importance of the keyword.
- Keyword font size can emphasize its importance
- Keyword proximity (for 2+ keywords) is good. Directly adjacent is best. For example, when someone searches for the words “scholarship golf tournament” and the website has those three words in the content together in that sequence, then the site would be given a higher relevance by the search engine than a site that has “scholarship” in the first sentence, “golf” in the third paragraph, and “tournament” in the last line.
- Keyword phrase order - Does the word order in the page match word order in the search text? Try to anticipate what words people will use to search, and match the word order.
- Keyword prominence (how early in page/tag does the keyword appear) can be important. Use in text at the top of the page in a bold large font. Be mindful of tasteful use of emphasizing text in this way so that it is readable and appropriate.
- Alt text (used with graphics) should describe the graphic - Avoid leaving it blank or filling it with meaningless or unrelated text that you think will appeal to search engines.
- Links to other pages within your site:
- Put keywords in link text only if they make sense.
- The filename "linked to" can contain the keywords.
- Use hyphenated filenames, and not long ones - two or three hyphens only.
- Links to other sites – use the same guidelines as links to pages within your own site plus:
- Only link to pages that are related to your subject matter, that expand on your theme, or supplement it.
- Wherever possible, have sites that you link to return the favor and also link to your site. Reciprocal links boost your ratings.
- Only link to high quality sites, sites that are relevant to your topics and are content-rich.